Oct 2, 2012

Day 2 (Thirty-Day Vegan): Popsicles and Beer

So today was a... difficult day at work :/ Sometimes we just have those days, and it's ok, you just pick yourself up, dust off, and keep on going. And I like the work I do, so I can look forward to having better days ahead. Occasionally, I'll instinctively turn to my good old standby comfort foods to get on the track to happy town, but today I got home and the first thing I went for was a Popsicle Brand ice popsicle. I have a couple in my freezer from recent days, I usually rehydrate with one after riding my bike home from work. Today, however, it occurred to me that I had no idea if these Popsicles were vegan friendly.

Naturally, I looked to the ingredients list for answers. But that was such a jumbled mess of random letters and numbers, I needed help from the internet.
I found myself searching things like "what is malic acid" and "is high fructose corn syrup vegan?" because the internet knows everything. By now, I have learned a lot about the ingredients of my favorite frozen dessert:
  • Is red dye 40 made of insects? No. Red dye 40 is sometimes also called azo, or Allura Red AC. It was originally derived from coal tar but is now made from petrolleum. So... gross, but vegan.
So, as far as I can tell, the Orange, Cherry, Grape flavored Popsicles are vegan, but contain some suspicious ingredients... I mean, petrolleum?! Anyway, by the time I had researched all this, I had already ate a Tempt bar (creamy bar made from hemp, more on that later), and that was enough dessert for me.
I did easily discover that Full Sail Amber Ale is vegan, thanks to the handy dandy website Barnivore! I was able to look it up lickety split and was sipping my beer just in time to watch some awesome Resident Evil Streaming on Gamers Northwest!
  • Breakfast: Traditional rolled oats with applesauce, cinnamon, and brown sugar
  • Lunch: Food for life Cluckphrey Chic-a-roos; spinach salad with tomatoes, red onions, bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli, with Asian sesame dressing
  • Snack: Tempt vanilla blueberry pom frozen dessert bars (like a yogurt bar), Full Sail Amber beer.
  • Dinner: Flat bread sandwich with veggie deli turkey, Daiya havarti cheese, spinach, and tomatoes; ritz crackers and Toby's Tofu spread
When it comes to ingredient lists, are you turned off by the chemical-ey names? Where are you in the debate over high fructose corn syrup?

No comments:

Post a Comment